Monday, January 14, 2008

Text from Your Computer with Joopz

That must be a generation thing: I am not a big user of text messages (SMS). But every time I get to do a trip in Europe, I come back with a renewed interest in text messaging.

Here comes Joopz, that I discovered through Russ. Russ says he loves the service. Love is a big word, so I had to give it a spin. The premise is that Joopz lets you send and receive text messages from their web site. It is free up to 50 messages sent per month, and $3/month after that (unlimited).

It sounds good. But this is not a service I will be using. When I sent a message to you with Joopz, you get from a weird number; in my test, this was: (010) 10-0001. Then the message reads: FRM: 14085555555-kjfj@joopz.com MSG: My message here. This is bad for 2 reasons:

  1. This is not user friendly for the recipient of the message: you have to decode the content of the message, figure that 4085555555 must be the phone number of the sender, and go find who that person is. This just doesn't look like a regular text message.
  2. This looks like a message sent through an email to SMS gateway. That is: a message the sender didn't pay to send. But the recipient is paying to receive the message. And then paying again to respond. To me that reads as I want to talk to you and I don't want to pay, but you will pay to get my messages and to respond. That doesn't send a good message ;).
I would love to be able to send text messages from my computer (and it's even better if I can save some money in the process). For now at least Joopz just isn't the service that will allow me to do so.

4 comments:

Ivo Brett said...

Hi, yes it can be frustrating to discover that these services use email to sms gateways. My experience is that these 'free' email2sms GWs are very unreliable. There are even loads of scripts floating around the web that allow you to set up your own dodgey service. If you are looking for reliable message delivery then you need to use a service that relies on a proper sms aggregation to a bulk sms provider. We have just beta launched a very reliable service called me2mobile (http://www.me2mobile.com). We would be keen for feedback

Alessandro Vernet said...

Ivo, thank you for the recommendation, and I will be glad to give a try to me2mobile when it becomes available in the in US. Giving a glance at the site, my I got the impression that it want only available in Australia right now. Is that right?

Alex

Ivo Brett said...

Hi Alex, you are partly correct. Me2mobile provides services that are based on premium SMS and bulk SMS (i.e. free SMS to the end user).

That means you can create interactive services that rely on either premium SMS or bulk SMS.

Australia is the only country where we currently have premium SMS (we have plans to roll out more countries).

You can set up interactive services based on bulk SMS that can be used globally. For example, people can text into our full long number (i.e. 61430354330) to access your voting or chat service or even to get instant alerts from a blog rss feed. The only gotcha - the creator of the service will need to buy SMS credits and wont have any premium SMS revenue to offset this outlay.

This may suit people who want to use SMS as a way to grow their market.

Anonymous said...

I think, online services will always suffer from this limitation (Skype SMS, Google SMS, Yahoo messenger, etc)...

Solution that we offer solves part of the problem. You can send SMS from PC via Bluetooth connection with your cell phone. Obviously, you'd still pay your carrier rates...

Though for those folks who have unlimited texting or special texting plans, this is still a good answer.

http://www.easypctexting.com
http://www.easypctexting.com/send-sms-from-pc.html