Thursday, September 27, 2007

MacBook Pro Firmware Update

Today I installed the first firmware update since I switched to a MacBook Pro, earlier this year. The update is promising to improve the performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo processors and fixes issues with Boot Camp for MacBook Pro computers. I haven't found more specific information about what specific reliability issue this update is fixing.

I experienced pretty significant stability problems since I started to use this machine. The symptom is always the same: a complete freeze of the OS; the screen does not refresh even if applications still seem to be running (e.g. iTunes would continue to play music). I have been having those freezes about every two weeks. So this hasn't been a total killer, but it has been very frustrating. Especially considering that I never had any stability problem on my previous Windows laptop.

Hopefully this update will do it!