Wednesday, February 13, 2008

PayPal Facebook Application

A few days ago, by mistake I typed "x" in the URL bar of my iPhone and pressed the Go button (that Go button is just below the backspace button; go figure!). I watched the phone go www.x.com and started to aim for cancel, as I expect some p0rn page to show up. Thanks to WiFi (or to me being utterly slow), the page loaded before I got a chance to hit cancel.

Surprise: x.com is owned by PayPal, who is now using the domain for their PayPal Labs site. (I should have known that as my bank account was with X.com at some point, before PayPal gave up on that line of business after their merger with X.com.)

One interesting bit came out of this: the PayPal Money Request application for Facebook. It seems to give you a nice and simple interface to send money requests to your friends, say to split the bill. It certainly looks much better than what you get by going to the PayPal site. And maybe, just maybe, that will be the first Facebook application that I would really find useful.

February 12, 2009 update: It looks like the PayPal Money Request application for Facebook is nowhere to be found. Instead the current PayPal application for Facebook seems to be designed to help you raise money from your friends from some cause.